How long have you been in business and how much experience do your DJs have?
We’ve been in business since 1996 (almost 20 years). The majority of our DJ and Emcees have between 3-8 years with our company but we are always adding talent to our roster. They all go through a 1 year training program before they are ever put on their first event.
How many events do you do a year?
Between our 3 regional locations, we do between 400-500 events a year with 90% of them being weddings.
What do you charge?
It completely depends on how long you need us and what add ons you need. We hope that you’ll contact us so that we can find out more about your event.
Does your pricing include setup and breakdown?
Setup/teardown is included in the price. That said, it is a complimentary part of our service so it does not go against your your “entertainment” hours.
How much is your deposit?
Our deposit is 50% if the event is booked more than 30 days in advance. If the event is booked less than 30 days out, full payment is required.
What style of attire can I expect you and your staff/team to be wearing at the event?
For set-up, we wear khaki shorts/pants and a company shirt with our logo. This allows us to be easily identifiable to all vendors and venue staff. For the event, we’ll try to dress in similar attire (i.e. resort casual, business casual or business formal).
If the DJ for my event is unable to perform for some reason, do you have a backup replacement ready to go?
We have several back-up “policies” if you book a DJ. Here are 2 of them:
- We purposefully do not book out every entertainer on our staff for any given event day. We leave at least one DJ/Emcee as a back-up so you are guaranteed a “B-Boy” employee for your event in the unlikely scenario that your assigned entertainer is in an accident, falls ill, etc. We’ve NEVER had to employ this back-up on an event since we’ve been in business but we still follow that protocol.
- We are also a member of the ADJA (American Disc Jockey Association). This organization has strict requirements to be considered for membership. How does this affect you? Their membership benefits are PHENOMENAL! As far as “back-up” policies are concerned, should we have ZERO DJs available for your event (which wouldn’t happen anyway per #1 above), you are guaranteed an ADJA replacement. All members support this initiative and will help other members. There is a “911 hotline” number should any member DJ company get stuck in this predicament.
Do you bring backup equipment to your event?
Absolutely. We have 3 hardware back-ups on hand at every event.
– Back-up powered speaker
– Back-up computer (which houses our music library)
– Back-up iPod with all formality music should our computers go down
– Back-up cables, etc.
What kind of space or stage do you require for the DJ or band? If my site doesn’t provide what you need, will you make arrangements for the stage or am I responsible for renting it?
We’ll play anywhere and don’t REQUIRE a stage. However, if you request staging, you are required to rent. Based on the size of the band, we’ll get you a rider with those requirements (including size of stage, power requirements, etc.). As far as a DJ is concerned, a 6′ table is required to be provided by you, the client. Most venues provide this anyway.
How much time will you need for setup, sound check and breakdown on the day of the event?
On average, our DJs/bands arrive a minimum of 1.5 hours prior to your event (although it only takes us 30 minutes to be completely ready to go). However, if the set-up is more elaborate, we’ll get there even earlier. It all depends upon the services you book. Teardown is typically a 30 minute process as well. Bands take considerably longer … the size of the band booked determines set-up/break-down time.
How many people will you staff for my event?
It varies based on the services booked and your attendance count. At a minimum, one staff member will be present.
If the event lasts longer than scheduled, what are the overtime charges?
It varies based on the services booked. It will be a minimum of $200 per hour for most entertainer types. It is required to be paid IN CASH prior to starting the overtime period.
Are there any additional fees that could accrue that I am not taking into account, like travel expenses or charges for special musical requests?
Travel charges may apply for a “non-local” entertainer that is booked. Song requests for songs not on a live act’s playlist can done. We charge $75/per song (assuming it is not something completely out of their playing ability – example: Bach’s 7th Symphony in D minor).
Do you carry liability insurance?
Yes, we carry a $2 million policy.
How extensive is your music library or song list? What genres can you cover?
If you’re going with a DJ, we have a 60,000 song library. We cover all genres from the 1920’s – today. For our live musicians, you can download their playlists in the “Team” section of our website.
Will The DJ play requests?
Absolutely! That is, if you want them to. We typically ask for at least 10-20 songs requests from you before the event just to get a taste of your style in music. However, the day of the event, the choice is yours if you want us to take guest requests. Our DJs are great at reading a crowd and will be sure to play requests that will only enhance the evening.
Should I tip the entertainer?
We do not include gratuity on the contract, but 15%-20% is recommended per entertainer if you feel the entertainer did a great job. The decision is totally up to you.
When should I book one of your entertainers?
We suggest at least 6-9 months before the event, although many of our DJs are now booking a year or more in advance. We do have DJs usually open for last minute shows.
What’s the next step if we book you?
The next step is logging into the client portal of our website. As soon as your deposit is received, we issue a receipt. Our system also generates and e-mails you a username and password for you to log on to our client portal: www.bboyproductionsevents.com. Or you can simply use the Client Login under the Client Resources at the footer of our website. There you can input your wedding party, song suggestions, other vendors and fill out our questionnaires which will help us when it gets to the planning stages (we do this with you approximately one month prior to your event). If you’ve booked a band or single instrumentalist, we’ll send you their song listing 30 days prior to the event. You can pick tunes off their list. If you’ve booked our Wedding Officiant services, they will issue you a script to review about a month prior the event. If you’ve booked our Event Planning services, we’ll be in touch much more frequently.
What’s the difference in your DJs/Emcees? How do you assign the right one for my wedding?
The main difference in our DJs and Emcees is years of experience. This actually factors in heavily to their talent level. Just like anything, the more you use your craft, the better skilled you become. On average, each DJ/Emcee works approximately 40-60 events a year. All our entertainer’s demeanor are pretty similar. Based on the tier level you booked, our event specialists will assign the one they feel best fits you and your significant other.
When will we begin the planning process with our DJ or Entertainer?
Generally speaking, we begin about a month prior to the event. Music changes so quickly – songs that were hot when you booked may already be on the way out by the day of your event so we like to wait as late as possible. Plus, planning the party is fun and exciting so we like to be one of the last things on your list!
Can we give you song suggestions?
Absolutely! We strongly encourage it. We firmly believe that there is no “cookie cutter” formula that works for every event. Our clients are unique and your wedding experience should be too! The more information and song suggestions you can give us, the better feel we’ll have for the type of crowd that will be attending — setting us up for success! Don’t worry about spending hours placing them in any specific order … that’s where our expertise comes in.
When is our balance due?
Your balance is due 30 days prior to your event. Our system generates an automatic e-mail reminder so you don’t even have to keep track!
Can we add additional hours to our package?
Of course! One of the benefits to booking B-Boy Productions is that your assigned entertainer is yours for the day. They don’t have an event prior to or after your event, so they can stay as long as needed. As you know, our packages are based on attendance and we’ve set the hours of the package to give you the perfect amount of time that we feel will have people leaving the event saying it was the best party they’ve ever been to. You can always add hours to the event … even the DAY OF the event!
What other services do you offer besides entertainment?
Although our bread and butter is entertainment, we do offer Officiant Services, Karaoke, PA Rentals, Photography, Videography, Production Lighting, A/V Solutions, Ceremony Rentals, Dance Floor Rentals, Day-of and Full Event Planning (which includes catering, photography, floral, etc).
Any “must have” additions that we should consider?
Yes! These items are always hot:
- Ceremony Sound System — If your guest count is above 30 people, this is a MUST HAVE for your ceremony. What makes this so special? For one, it’s battery powered – no electricity needed (can run for up to 11 hours). Secondly, it includes a lapel mic for the Officiant, inputs for an instrumentalist/vocalist and an Ipod. Lastly, we include a sound technician to set it up, run it the entire ceremony and then tear down. This system will ensure that nobody misses out on anything during the ceremony!
- Gobo Lighting — One of the cool ways you can personalize your wedding is a “gobo” light. This is a spotlight with a monogram projected onto a wall or dance floor. Photographers say they look amazing in pictures. It could have your intials on them or say the word “dance” or anything else you want for that matter. It can be colorized or just in standard white.
- Signature First Dance — Do you want to REALLY personalize your event? This is something that is pretty exclusive to our company. We actually use our studio to record you and your fiancé telling the story of either how you first met or how the proposal happened. We record just the audio and splice this over your first dance. It is a great way to tell your story for your guests and really captivate your crowd. We’ve had guests either laughing hysterically or crying because it was so sweet! Either way, it’s always a big hit!
- Photo Booth — This is the latest event craze! They can not only personalize events but also double as a party favor or giveaway for your guests. Our booth is state-of-the-art — with upgrades including uploading the photos to Facebook immediately from the booth, custom logos on the prints and much, much more. We offer discounted rates on this product when bundled with one of our DJ packages.